IAE OpenIR  > 沈阳应用生态研究所
EDTA-enhanced phytoremediation of heavy metal contaminated soil with Indian mustard and associated potential leaching risk
Wu, LH; Luo, YM; Xing, XR; Christie, P; Wu, LH, Chinese Acad Sci, Inst Soil Sci, Soil & Environm Bioremediat Res Ctr, POB 821, Nanjing 210008, Peoples R China
2004
Source PublicationAGRICULTURE ECOSYSTEMS & ENVIRONMENT
ISSN0167-8809
Volume102Issue:3Pages:307-318
AbstractA glasshouse pot experiment and a laboratory leaching column experiment were conducted to study the EDTA enhancement of the mobility and phytoextraction of heavy metals and the potential for leaching of metals during the phytoextraction process. Addition of EDTA (disodium salt, 3 mmol kg(-1)) to pots of a paddy soil (an Fe-accumulic Gleyi-Stagnic Antrosol) historically polluted with Cu and experimentally spiked with Zn, Pb and Cd significantly enhanced the mobilities of soil Cu and Pb but not of Zn and Cd. EDTA increased shoot Cu and Pb concentrations in Indian mustard (Brassica juncea) plants growing in the soil but the resulting offtakes were low and a sequence of at least 200 crops would be required to remediate the soil. Addition of oxalic, citric or malic acid to soil at the same rate (3 mmol kg(-1)) had virtually no effect on uptake of the metals by Indian mustard. EDTA addition led to elevated soil solution concentrations of TOC, Cu, Zn, Pb and Cd for about 1 month. Rainfall after EDTA application, as simulated by the column leaching experiment, increased the concentrations of Cu, Zn, Pb and Cd linearly in leachate with increasing EDTA dosage (0-12 mmol kg(-1)). EDTA addition also led to losses of soil macronutrients including Fe. About 68% of the added EDTA tended to chelate soil Cu, Zn, Pb and Cd and the remaining 32% was chelated with and leached other ions. Total Cu, Zn, Pb and Cd losses were significantly correlated with EDTA dosage. The low shoot offtakes of Pb and Cu and the risk of groundwater pollution as EDTA remains active for several weeks make chelate-enhanced phytoremediation with Indian mustard unsuitable for this soil, especially during periods of high rainfall. (C) 2003 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
KeywordHeavy Metals Phytoremediation Edta Organic Acids Brassica Juncea Leaching Risk
Subject AreaAgriculture, Multidisciplinary ; Ecology ; Environmental Sciences
Indexed BySCI
Language英语
WOS IDWOS:000220873500006
Citation statistics
Cited Times:224[WOS]   [WOS Record]     [Related Records in WOS]
Document Type期刊论文
Identifierhttp://210.72.129.5/handle/321005/55312
Collection沈阳应用生态研究所
Corresponding AuthorWu, LH, Chinese Acad Sci, Inst Soil Sci, Soil & Environm Bioremediat Res Ctr, POB 821, Nanjing 210008, Peoples R China
Recommended Citation
GB/T 7714
Wu, LH,Luo, YM,Xing, XR,et al. EDTA-enhanced phytoremediation of heavy metal contaminated soil with Indian mustard and associated potential leaching risk[J]. AGRICULTURE ECOSYSTEMS & ENVIRONMENT,2004,102(3):307-318.
APA Wu, LH,Luo, YM,Xing, XR,Christie, P,&Wu, LH, Chinese Acad Sci, Inst Soil Sci, Soil & Environm Bioremediat Res Ctr, POB 821, Nanjing 210008, Peoples R China.(2004).EDTA-enhanced phytoremediation of heavy metal contaminated soil with Indian mustard and associated potential leaching risk.AGRICULTURE ECOSYSTEMS & ENVIRONMENT,102(3),307-318.
MLA Wu, LH,et al."EDTA-enhanced phytoremediation of heavy metal contaminated soil with Indian mustard and associated potential leaching risk".AGRICULTURE ECOSYSTEMS & ENVIRONMENT 102.3(2004):307-318.
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Related Services
Recommend this item
Bookmark
Usage statistics
Export to Endnote
Google Scholar
Similar articles in Google Scholar
[Wu, LH]'s Articles
[Luo, YM]'s Articles
[Xing, XR]'s Articles
Baidu academic
Similar articles in Baidu academic
[Wu, LH]'s Articles
[Luo, YM]'s Articles
[Xing, XR]'s Articles
Bing Scholar
Similar articles in Bing Scholar
[Wu, LH]'s Articles
[Luo, YM]'s Articles
[Xing, XR]'s Articles
Terms of Use
No data!
Social Bookmark/Share
All comments (0)
No comment.
 

Items in the repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.